Few things are better than a freshly baked warm chocolate chip cookie that comes fresh out of the oven. This recipe, for the best chocolate chip cookie, was originally published by Jaques Torres in the New York Times. The unique key to this recipe is that you refrigerate the cookie dough for a minimum of 24 hours before you bake the cookies. The New York Times suggests that allowing the best chocolate chip cookie makes the cookie dough have the perfect level of moisture to make the perfect cookie. I feel like I have tried many chocolate chip cookies in my lifetime and I can honestly say, these are the best chocolate chip cookies …. ever.
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie
New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Jacques Torres by
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
This recipe is bar far the best chocolate chip cookie that I have ever had.
- 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks or fèves, at least 60 percent cacao content (see note)
- Sea salt (your best)
1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
4. Scoop 6 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day
I hope you will find that these are the best chocolate chip cookies, I have had several batches of these, I really find for me, these are the best chocolate chip cookies ever.Print Recipe