This casserole has become a favorite in our family and is great for a pot-luck or casual gatherings.
Thanks to nowurcooking for sharing this casserole recipe.
This meat packed casserole is topped with a corn bread like crust is so good.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounce) diced tomato
- 1 can (16 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounce) whole kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup corn meal
- 1 cup black pitted California olives (sliced) Reserve 7 or 8 whole olives for top of casserole.
- Recipe for Spoon Bread Topping:
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
Heat olive oil in large skillet. Brown ground beef until no longer pink. Add onion, garlic, green pepper and stir until onion is golden. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, salt, chili powder, cumin and black pepper-simmer 15 minutes. Mix water, corn meal, and add to meat mixture-cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add sliced olives. Pour mixture into 3 quart casserole. Top with Spoon Bread*(Directions below) and reserved whole black olives. refrigerate until 1 hour before serving time.
Directions for Spoon Bread Topping:
In a sauce pan, heat milk, salt and butter over low heat. Slowly stir in corn meal and cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and slightly beaten eggs. Mix well and pour over meat mixture in casserole. Garnish top with reserved whole black olives. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.Print Recipe