An authentic Italian recipe! This dish is originally from Southern Italy. It is my family's favorite because many of the ingredients are added just before serving and it gives me the benefit to please all by keeping the black olives out of mine or the anchovies out of my daughter's. My husband likes them all the way, served with fresh grated parmesan.
Serve this with slices of warm focaccia and a green salad. A sure success.
Thanks to Marina for sharing this recipe.
You can enjoy this Italian classic at home.
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped;
- 2 cloves of garlic, pound them with the side of the butcher knife on the cutting board;
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 14 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed hot peppers (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 3 anchovy fillets chopped
- 1 dozen snow peas cut in 1 inch sections (optional but very yummy)
- 3 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 2 tablesppons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- salt for the spaghetti water
- Parmesan cheese to grate over the pasta before serving
Place the oil and butter in a quart size pan. Add the chopped onion and the "pounded" garlic. Allow to cook over medium heat until translucent. Add the diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce along with the crushed hot peppers. Add the bouillon cubes and the chopped basil.
Allow to cook, covered for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare your chopped anchovies fillets, drain the sliced black olives, the capers and slice the snow peas.
Add the snow peas and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat.
Now add the capers, black olives, anchovies, stir well and serve over cooked, drained spaghetti. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Buon Appetito!Print Recipe