This is a spicy and unique onion soup recipe with southwest flavor. This soup is loaded with flavors; sherry, cheese, peppers, chilies, and so much more.
Cafe Terra Cotta Cram Oaxacan Sweet Onion Soup
Cafe Terra Cotta Creamy Oaxacan Sweet Onion Soup
Like french onion soup? You will love this one.
- 2 large Yellow onions halved, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Butter -- melted
- 1/16 cup Garlic -- chopped
- 1/8 cup Sherry
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 quart Chicken stock
- 3 Oaxaca chilies* --- Chile pasilla (Or substitute drained canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce or dried chipotle chilies.)
- 1/4 quart Heavy cream
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese -- White, shredded
- 1 poblano pepper -- diced
- Salt to taste
- Garnish: Blue Cheese Croutons
- 6 Baguette slices -- toasted
- 1 ounce Blue cheese
- 1/8 cup onion -- Sautéed sliced
Sauté onions in butter until tender. Add garlic and sherry. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add chicken stock and Oaxaca chilies; bring to boil.
Simmer 30 minutes. Discard chilies. Add cream, cheese and diced poblano chilies. Simmer 5 minutes. Adjust salt if necessary.
For Garnish: Spread baguette slices with blue cheese and warm.
For Each Serving: Float a baguette slice in center of each soup bowl. Heap a couple of sautéed onion slices on baguette.Print Recipe