You can do something extra special with canned and creamed corn by adding bacon, onion, celery, and bell peppers to make this a terrific dish. Luby’s Spanish Indian Baked Corn is the perfect dish to bring to a pot luck dinner, because it reheats so easily.
Luby’s Spanish Indian Baked corn
Yield: 12 servings.
Luby’s Spanish Indian Baked Corn
You can prepare this easy to make corn casserole just like Luby's does.
- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 stick butter (1/4 pound), plus 2 tablespoons melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) cream style corn
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pimentos, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups cornbread muffins, crumbled and divided
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Add onion, celery and bell pepper and saute 2 minutes over low heat; set aside. In medium-size pan, melt 1/4 pound butter; add milk, corn, jalapenos, pimentos, salt and sugar; heat over low heat. Add bacon-vegetable mixture and 1 cup cornbread crumbs to corn mixture. Heat well, stirring frequently. Transfer to an 8x11 and 1/2-inch pan. Moisten remaining cornbread crumbs with remaining margarine and sprinkle on top of corn mixture. Bake at 350 degrees until crumbs are light brown.Print Recipe