Chicken Gumbo is one of the south's favorite recipes during Mardis Gras. Gumbo is most often made with seafood, but here is one made with chicken.
This Gumbo is a tasty meal starter or a wonderful meal!
- 2 whole, boned chicken breasts (cut into 1/2" strips)
- 6 strips of bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, preferably cut from the cob
- 1 1/2 cup okra, cut into 1/2 " pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup uncooked rice
- 5 cup water
- Seasonings: hot pepper sauce, black pepper, Cajun spices, and parsley
In a large pot, fry the bacon. Remove the bacon and set aside. Add the oil to the bacon drippings that are in the pot. Dredge the chicken in flour and brown them in the pot. This may have to be done in several batches. Pour the chicken broth over browned chicken and boil. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and season before serving. You may add the bacon to the soup, if desired. Serves 8.Print Recipe