Leave it to Luby’s Cafeteria to come up with a zesty, but not too hot, jalapeno cornbread. This is a perfect addition to a bowl of chili or your favorite bowl of soup. Thanks to Debra Rusling for locating this recipe in the Houston Chronicle.
Luby’s Jalapeno Cornbread
Luby's Jalapeno Cornbread
This cornbread is so yummy at Luby's now you can make it at home!
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 extra large egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon diced red bell pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon drained stemmed, and chopped jalapenos
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon whole kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, buttermilk, egg, oil, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add cornmeal and flour; mix well. Blend in red peppers, jalapenos and corn. Place in a greased pan or cast iron skillet and bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Yield: 12 servingsPrint Recipe