This is a nice Greek recipe. Please note we did not create the name of the recipe, they do call this Baklava. This is not a dessert. This is a stuffed cabbage roll casserole with a Greek twist.
Aladdin Mihshi Malrut Baklava
This is a great Casserole with a wonderful blend of flavors!
- 1 large head green cabbage, at room temperature
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb or beef
- 1 cup short-grain rice, washed and drained (medium grain rice can be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups water (divided)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Separate leaves from head of cabbage carefully. Drop leaves, a few at a time, into a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook until limp, about 5 minutes. Drain. Cut leaves in half; remove and discard center ribs. Set aside.
Combine all remaining ingredients except 1 cup water, garlic and lemon juice.
Place 1 tablespoon of mixture on each leaf and roll up, tucking in sides to contain filling.
Combine remaining ingredients. Pack finished rolls, flap side down and close together, making layers, in a Dutch oven; sprinkling each layer with the mixture.
Invert a heavy heatproof plate over the rolls. Cover pan and bring to simmer on stovetop over medium heat. Cook 40 to 60 minutes. Makes about 5 servings.Print Recipe